Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Plan Part 2--The Diet

I know I can't lose weight on exercise alone, but finding the right dieting program has been difficult. For the last 2 years I have tried a food diary, portion control, counting calories and preparing low fat meals. While all that has helped slow weight gain, it has made little difference beyond losing 3-4 pounds, which inevitably reappeared after a party or a fun weekend. Instead, over the last 4 years it has gone up an average of 10 pounds a year.

The only weight loss program that ever really worked for me was the Atkins diet. Pittsburgh is full of great Italian restaurants and ethnic foods. It is not an easy place to go low carb! However, when all else fails, go with what works. The last time I tried this I was 15 years younger. I lost 25 pounds, felt better than I had in years, and was able to keep the weight off for several years. My downfall was the year the 'cake cook' came to our school. She made the best chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting I'd ever had and she always saved me a big piece. It was a stressful year in several ways and the pounds starting creeping back on.

I have found the power to try it again. Since I have done it before and know what works, I will modify it to fit me. I will include dairy for calcium, and fruit on a limited basis. Mostly what will be cut out is the sugar, but complex carbs will be allowed in small portions.

I don't believe in one weight loss program for all. My sister tried Atkins and as soon as she added in one carb she would add pounds. Another friend who ate a lot of fruit felt very sluggish and got headaches when she tried Atkins. Curiously, I was just the opposite. I had more energy and my mid-morning headache went away. So it's what works for YOU, right??

Because I believe diets are very individual, I will not spend much time on this blog sharing my food issues. But temptations are a different matter! When I start to complain too much feel free to ask me if I'd like a glass of 'whine' with that. I'm sure it will be deserved.
Today's total---13,000 steps!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment