Saturday, August 4, 2012

Keep On Keepin' On

Small steps.

I know what my goal is. To lose weight, to be skinnier (not skinny--old people don't look good skinny. They just look skinny...frail...old), to be fit, to be in good health. It ain't easy and it's not happening fast, but if I look closely, it may actually be happening.

One of the keys to a healthy lifestyle is having a plan. Recently I realized I was trying to do too much. At the end of the week I wanted a break, a day off. I needed to pace myself.

Motivation. I think I did better this week. I didn't do as much, but I carried through better. On Friday morning I got up and headed to the gym for my workout, followed by a 2 mile walk. This morning I got up and headed to the park for a 3 mile walk. I made it through the week with enough motivation to keep going. Small steps.

Energy. I had planned to spend the afternoon reading. But as the day wore on I kept doing tasks; laundry, another coat of paint on a table I'm refinishing, cleaning up a desk, washing out a cupboard... tasks. Trips up and down stairs as I put things away and straightened up little piles that had accumulated through the week. Even that 3 mile walk this morning on a hot and very humid day didn't wear me out. I did read, but I did much more.

Shape. The scales show little difference, but the mirror suddenly does. Today I wore a ribbed tank top that was on the Goodwill pile. It didn't look great, but it did look better than at the begining of the summer and for a long walk on a hot day, it was fine. Small steps.

My body feels tighter. At the end of the day, my gut that looks like I swallowed a balloon in the afternoon, today looked like the balloon had lost a bit of air.

Small Steps.

All I can do is keep on, keepin' on. Someday maybe I'll reach my goal. Thinner. Fitter. Lighter. Hopefully around 130. Keep on....

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about old people who are too thin. They look frail - emaciated - even older. Mom is that - and I ache when I see her. She has always been thin, but thin takes on a new meaning now.

    I don't have the motivation you do to exercise. I know one thing that would help ... a walking buddy - someone who would hold me more accountable, not to mention that it would become a social experience. There is some worry about my knee. I can walk long distances, but I'm not sure about power walking. I do know that the more you do, the more energy you have to do more.

    ReplyDelete