Wednesday, August 29, 2012

My Scale Lies, but Sometimes, I Love It.

So... I get up this morning and I get on the scale. For weeks, months, it has been stuck between 144.5 and 145.5. Nothing makes it move. It just bounces between those two numbers. My Fitness Pal .com promises me I'll be 138.1 or 140.3 in 5 weeks. But nothing changes. 144.5 is my scale's favorite number.

Until this morning. I check the scale and it says 144. That's nice! It's not a big change, but it is a change. I don't believe it. I know when I check it again it will go back to 144.5. (This is part of my morning ritual. Pee, Weigh, Get off the scale and let it reset itself, Weigh again. It either goes up, or maintains it's position.I take the best out of 3. My scale is a fickle beast.)

I re-weigh myself. 143. Huh? Look again. 143! I wait a few minutes and try it again. 143!!!

I don't believe it. I did not behave myself over the weekend, and yesterday I just plain indulged myself. 143? It's lying. Tomorrow, when I check the scales again, it will be back to 144.5. But for today, I see a glimmer of hope.

But it's just a glimmer. I won't except a weight as the real thing until I see it 3 days in a row. Consistency.

It's the key to weight loss. It is also the key to understanding the way my scales work.

They are fickle, but today they made me smile.


No comments:

Post a Comment