Monday, July 9, 2012

My Fitness Pal

I found a new tool in my battle. It's a website: www.myfitnesspal.com. Each day I log in to track my exercise and diet. In the beginning I set my current weight and goals. Then it gave me my calorie limit. As I fill out my daily update, it lets me know what I would weigh in 5 weeks IF I lived each day as I lived this one. Some days the news is good. Some days....well, I'm still learning.

It's not too hard to do. Most grocery items and chain restaurant foods are in the database. Occasionally I have to give the ingredients in a recipe so it can calculate the calories, fats, proteins, and carbs. As long as I check in each day I can complete the log in a manner of 10 minutes or less. And I can do it from my iphone!

I'm trying hard to make it a priority, and it is giving me some insights. I can see what foods work best and I am constantly shocked every time we eat out. OUCH! I thought I was pretty aware of what meals were bad, but I'm learning more. I figured if I only splurged on Seafood Pasta Alfredo once in awhile, it was ok. Humph. Not according to 'my fitness pal'. It will take me all year to balance out that meal!

On the other hand, I find I can have a bowl of cereal with milk and berries and it's about the same as one egg and toast with butter. So breakfast is pretty guilt free, as long as I watch the portions, and the extras! (no bacon!)

One more tool in my toolbox. I need all the tools I can find!

No comments:

Post a Comment