Saturday, October 23, 2010

Stalled

This week has not been a good one as far as my diet and exercise goals are concerned. I knew it would hit sooner or later, and it has. I seem to have a couple of main issues.

1) Summer is over, and the fall schedule has begun. I have less free time and more demands that interfere with walking or working out. This has always been an issue. In fact it is a reminder of what people who are seriously making changes in their lives while raising a family or holding a job go through all the time. It's tough keeping up with the schedule AND making sure that exercise has a priority. I haven't done well with that before. I will have to find a way this time.

2) With fall comes a number of challenges to the diet. Activities that serve snacks; cold temps making comfort food much more desirable and salads less desirable, holidays--my birthday, for starters.

3) I am easily discouraged from walking when the temps drop and the wind picks up, which really happened this week.

I did not gain anything this week, but neither did I lose. Worst of all, the inches around the middle, that
trouble spot on my body that I want to see improve the most, started creeping up again.

It's not going to get better until around May, so I'm really going to have to work at finding a solution. I have to find some way to push through each obstacle so that I can be an 'Overcomer'!

2 comments:

  1. My brother has been doing a lot of exercise and staying in shape by rowing on Lake Winnapasaukee where he lives in NH. (Yes -- he purchased a scull (rowing) - with the help of Hilary). His doctor is really pleased with how healthy and in shape he is, but has told him that the danger comes in winter when the lake is frozen over and it will be impossible to row. he has to find something else to do on a daily basis. As of August, he didn't know what he was going to do -- so this transition is quite common as one season goes into the next.

    You're right about the comfort food that hits once the weather gets cooler....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for him! I'm not surprised though. After all, he was one of the ones who took JFK's challenge to walk 25 miles!
    One thing I have here is a walking path mapped out inside our municipal building. It's no charge, and you can track your miles as you walk inside. They hand out lap clickers, and you can keep tabs on your sheet in a notebook. There is also a club you can join. And it's all free. I could go to a yoga class 1st thing in the morning and follow it up with my daily walk.... not I just have to GO! LOL

    ReplyDelete