Monday, November 8, 2010

Inspiration--Christina's Story

The Racheal Ray Show is following the story of a teen girl who is trying to lose 70 pounds by prom night. She is very overweight, and ultimately needs to lose more than that, but I think her goal is realistic. It is also very hard.

Each Friday the show profiles how her week has gone. I've seen a few of those stories. I am inspired by her determination, but I feel for the battles she has to win to get there. Not everyone in her family is overweight, and she is clearly the heaviest of them all. The story this week really touched me. The family was preparing for her sister's birthday party. Pizza, chips, birthday cake, Italian meats and cheeses were everywhere. I didn't see one veggie platter or fruit tray. I really felt as if she was fighting this battle alone.

She did eat a piece of pizza and a piece of birthday cake and afterwards hated herself. That fed her low self-esteem so she skipped a couple of days at the gym. In the end she put back on 5 pounds of the 13 she had lost.

How would I ever lose a pound if my family only had high fat foods around? I am the captain of my own ship here! I am the grocery shopper and the cook. I am in total control of the food I consume, good or bad. I have no excuses. But I don't know if I could persevere the way Christina is if I were 17 years old. Having a good support system is so important! Christina continues to fight back, but I hope future updates show others rallying around her and providing her with the opportunities to make the right choices.

To put a brighter ending to this tale I can tell you that at the end of the week she had gotten back to the gym and was once again watching what she ate and lost 3 of those pounds. She has a long way to go, but she is inspiring to me. I wish I could be her phone and work out buddy and we could challenge each other. And I hope the next time they show her family, I see a veggie platter on the table somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment