Monday, November 29, 2010

Turkey Day Vs. The Diet

Farewell Turkey Day. My favorite gluttonous meal is over until next year. The Great Turkey was sacrificed so that I could pig out and indulge myself without guilt and I survived without putting on any weight. That is an accomplishment so I'll choose to see that as a positive thing. However, this last month has been a hard one. In the last month I have only lost 1 1/2 pounds. Most of my recent entries have illustrated the struggle. That's because I feel like I'm spinning my wheels. I can make lots of excuses for this but it doesn't make me any happier.

I know workouts are important, and I always start out with good intentions. Unfortunately, anything will work as a detterent for me. I can start each day with a pre-planned schedule, but within half an hour of waking up in the morning I will re-prioritize the day, and somehow the workout gets pushed down the list. Today is a perfect example. It is the day I do Feederwatch. (On Feederwatch days, I stay close to the window and track the numbers and species of birds that flock to my feeder. I record the numbers and send it in to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.) My plan was to do my weights workout by the window so I could kill two birds with one stone. (OOPS. Poor analogy there. Sorry birds!) Instead after I got up, I did my weekly weight and inches stats update... and the results led me to blogging. One workout pushed down the list! So if I am looking at why the weight loss has slowed so much I would have to admit that workouts have been my biggest failure.

I was sick for a few weeks and that dictated what I did and what I ate. I can accept that. It is not in my control. However, I was only losing 1 pound a week before all of this. I am willing to accept slow weight loss as a good thing because it allows me to develop new eating habits that will hopefully become my new norm. But it has become way too slow! It's time to figure out what to change. Today, when I recorded my stats, I noticed an interesting trend, found a few positive points and set a new goal.

1) When I measure myself I record the bust, mid-torso, waist, belly, and butt. My mid-torso and belly are the two areas that bug me. They fluctuate every week. They are also the 2 areas that I don't like when I look at myself in clothes. While I was 'sick' with hyper acid reflux the bloating was uncomfortable and it was trackable as I recorded my inches gained or lost. The inches over all my body went up a total of 3 1/2 inches. Today they were all down. I know I've been feeling much better, and haven't noticed the symptoms I was experiencing, but I think this kind of proved it, too! (Good news.) In fact, my body lost a total of 4 1/4 inches overall this week!

2) I checked the stats for the past few months. When I look back over the weeks and months of this diet, my bust, waist, butt, leg, and arm have all recorded a steady, if slow, loss in inches. Because they don't change for weeks, I often don't see the difference, but when I look back over my record keeping, it is obvious. The change has been positive. Of course, the one place I have seen it is in my clothes. Tops and pants that were tight are now comfortable, and in some cases, loose. YEA!!!

3) My new goal is to lose 2 pounds this week. It will be hard. I have to work out to increase my metabolism. I've got to stick to my diet plan, but after seeing the inches drop down when I measured myself, I feel sure the scale is ready to help me out. I really want to lose another 5 pounds before Christmas and losing 2 pounds this week is the key to reaching that goal.

Time to get going. I will log off of this blog, pick up those weights and do that workout I planned t do first thing this morning. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment