Sunday, January 23, 2011

Mashed Potatoes--Yummy, But Not On My Diet

We went out to dinner last night. It was nice having Larry home and we celebrated with a nice dinner at Applebee's. We were pretty good. We skipped the appetizer and I ordered from the 'under 550 calories' part of the menu. But then I asked if I could substitue the Garlic Mashed for the Herbed red skins.

I'm pretty sure that messed up the whole "550 Calorie" idea. I've had that platter as it is served and it is very good. I just wanted the garlic mashed. It wasn't the end of the world and I had been pretty good yesterday, but this morning when I woke up I couldn't help ask myself Why?

I know Why. I forgot the one mantra that has always helped me stick to a plan. "Not now, maybe later".
When I am trying to avoid a behavior this is what always works for me. When I say it I'm reminding myself I'm not forbidding it. This isn't the last chance I will ever have to: have a piece of chocolate cake, drink a beer, dive into that spinach artichoke dip, etc. I'm simply not going to do it right now.

I quit smoking that way. For several months I kept putting off that next cigarette. I went from 2 packs a day to none, cold turkey. But my mentality was that I just wasn't going to do it now. After a year I accepted the fact I had quit.

The next time I go out to eat I need to remember my mantra when I look at the menu. "Would you like dessert?" "Not now, maybe later." "Can I get you a drink, or an appetizer?" "Not now, maybe later." It's a mental exercise that works for me. I've just forgotten about it.

Time to reinstate it. NOW, not later!

No comments:

Post a Comment