Tuesday, August 24, 2010

From Oops to Wow!

Losing weight is a funny thing. One day something smacks you on the head to bring you down, and the next day, out of the blue, something happens that says "You Go, Girl!" My last post I was feeling chastised because I saw the scale move slightly the wrong way after rewarding myself for recent successes. But after this weekend, I am Stoked!

When we lived in Florida, I took riding lessons. I had conquered my fear of heights on a horse, but I never felt I had achieved control of the horse. One problem I had when riding was that my knees would really ache after an hour, and when I dismounted it took me a few moments before I got the kinks out. I never got very good, but I loved it just the same.

Last Sunday I went horseback riding for the first time in 4 years. I was really looking forward to it and hoped that I would be up to it. Of course, I knew come Monday morning I was going to have a very sore butt at the very least. There were 20 of us riding that day, and it took awhile to get everyone saddled up and on the right horse for them. I was given Gabriel. (That would be the "angel, Gabriel, right?" I asked!) While we waited I had a few minutes to walk around the arena and see how the horse responded.

The ride turned out to be a whole lot more strenuous than any ride I had in Florida. It started out on a rough dirt road, but that was fine. Then we started across and down a grassy hill to the gate where we made a hairpin turn into the woods and some deep grass. That was as easy as it got. After climbing another hill we turned and entered the woods and started going down a very steep hill. The path made by the horses on previous treks was literally about 12 inches wide.
I mentioned before that I had conquered my fear of heights on top of the horse, but this was seriously going to challenge it. I leaned back in the saddle (the proper way to go down a hill) and let the horse have his lead.

Over the next 2 hours we went up hills, down hills, through deep mud, through sand, rock...you get the picture! So why am I stoked?

Because when it was over, I won! I never lost my nerve. I was relaxed on Gabriel. He listened to my commands...that's a first! I was tired and glad when we got back, BUT!.... and this is a big But!...

My knees didn't hurt! When I got off the horse, I felt tired but fine. And yesterday, I wasn't stiff at all! My seat was a little tender, but not what I would have expected. What does all this mean? Forget the scales for now. I am in much better physical shape than I was a month ago. I read yesterday that speed walking increases circulation to all parts of the body which helps in multiple ways as well as improving my stamina. I also truly feel my diet has once again proven it is the right one for me. Remember when I listed 'less aches' on my success list? The diet is the biggest difference between other riding experiences and this one.

They say the biggest motivation to stay on a diet is seeing success. They are right! I may only be down a few pounds, but it's coming. All signs point forward. I'm sticking to my plan.

Oh, by the way, my total step count on Sunday was 16,000. I have to give 8,000 of those steps to Gabriel. My pedometer faithfully clicked away each step he made.

4 comments:

  1. I found you here (you did leave the URL the other day in Facebook) and I've been meaning to respond to your endeavor.

    Go You! :) !!!! What a great way to be accountable to your goal!

    I also want to steer you to a blog that I've been reading on someone who is also blogging about her weight loss journey, and it is an amazing blog -- so inspiring, funny and honest - and blunt *g*. You'll see what I mean when you read her! If nothing else - it's a good read because she's a great writer!

    I met Sylvia on Live Journal years ago, and she still is there, though less so as she focuses more on this. She also is involved in the online weight loss community of Spark People, but that isn't for everyone, and not suggesting you go there.

    Here is her URL -- http://slyredux.blogspot.com/

    I have much to say about this weight loss / exercise issue - and me - but that is more suited for a blog entry of my own that I'm sort of formulating in my mind now. Not sure when it will end up to be written...

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, Sylvia has deleted her blogspot blog and moved all her entries over to Live Journal. Most entries will remain open so you can read them -- so let me move you over there if you care to read her blog there:

    http://sylvia-says.livejournal.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link to Sylvia's site. I've checked it out. BTW, how many blogs do you follow?? You always seem to have another connection:) Glad you found this one. I didn't invite all my friends to this. I wanted to see if people would find it through FB. Sort of an experiment. Pass it on to others you think they'd be interested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Except for a little Facebook, basically following blogs is mainly what I do online -- mostly with my private Live Journal group. Outside of that, I follow some, but don't comment on all.

    Sylvia is part of my Live Journal group, but most of her entries are public. She's changeable - as you will now notice from the NEXT change I'm going to give you on her blogging location. She's still posting in Live Journal, but I am noticing that most of her public weight loss / exercise blogging is being done only in her public SparkPeople blog. She cross posts many to Live Journal, but there are entries that she only posts there. You can't comment unless you're a member of Sparkpeople, but you can read! As you will notice she also loves to "vlog" -- i.e. "video blog"!

    http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal.asp?id=SLY_REDUX

    ReplyDelete