Friday, August 13, 2010

Nike was right.

Yesterday, I was in a lazy mood. Actually, I'll give myself a break here and just say I didn't mind doing stuff. I just didn't want to do it outdoors. I vacuumed the family room and cleaned the kitchen floor. I gotta say, right here, that cleaning the kitchen floor is probably my least favorite house cleaning chore of all. We have a yellow lab who is really well behaved. We can send her outside and she stays in the yard without us telling her to. However, there is a trick to this. She knows as soon as she comes back in the house she gets a 'cookie'. The treat jar stays on the counter and as soon as she does her thing outside, she comes in and stands by the jar. If I'm slow getting to her she drools. In fact, when she walks through the door she's salivating. When I look at the kitchen floor in the right light I can see all the spots around where she's been standing. I hate cleaning that floor! I spray it and let the cleaner soak in, I mop it and then I go over the remaining spots by hand. Yesterday, was the day to 'git her done'.

Normally, I would have walked first thing in the morning, but it had rained hard the night before and the sky was still heavy. It did not look inviting. So I decided to start with housework, and when I was finished I rewarded myself by finishing a book I was reading.

Of course, hanging around the kitchen gave me easy access to the pantry where the bag of trail mix kept calling me. The almonds and peanuts were great and right on my diet plan, but I don't think I was supposed to keep picking out the raisins and m&m's. The fruit was looking pretty good too, which for most diets would have been fine. 1 cup of grapes is ok, but the whole bunch was probably a bit much. Oh well, the way I see it is that now that they are gone they are much less of a tempation!

As you know from my post yesterday, all this may have been good for the house, and nice for the soul, but my step count sucked and I was in no mood to boost it. So I came to the blog and vented. Guess what? It worked!

Just talking about it made me feel a little guilty. And as I thought about it I realized I was wimping out on a measly 20 minute walk. I didn't have to do the mile and a half up the really steep hill. I could do the easier mile and still boost my count. What was my problem? The little me on my shoulder went on to aggravate me by pointing out that after my walk I would still have time to shower before I needed to start dinner. SO GET GOING, my mini-me conscience said.

And I did. Once I laced on my shoes, and headed out the door, I was ready. Heidi's comment yesterday was right. It's harder putting on the work out clothes, than doing the workout.

Cleaning my kitchen floor was no different from walking. Nike was right. JUST DO IT!!!!!

Total step count yesterday--9643!

No comments:

Post a Comment