Saturday, September 4, 2010

Exercise? Puh-leze!

I'm starting to get nudges. Nudges from my conscience, nudges from Dr. Oz, nudges from my doctor. Go away. Leave me alone. I'm walking already, what more do you want?

Dr. Oz says muscle mass burns more calories. My conscience reminds me of trainers from my past...muscle burns more calories than fat...muscle pounds are good pounds, fat pounds are bad pounds, muscle improves your BMI...yadda, yadda, yadda.

My doctor says weight bearing exercises will build stronger bones and help prevent osteoporosis. Shhhh, no one wants to hear they are a candidate for osteoporosis. Can't I just swallow a calcium pill and eat more yogurt? "My gym closed," I tell her. I liked it. It was a small gym, just for women. I don't like those big gyms with 100 machines and kids in their 20's bopping around on them. "Maybe you can try Curves," she suggests.

Nudges.

The truth is there are plenty of opportunities around here, but the gym I really liked closed. I thought I could exercise on my own, but it is really hard motivating myself. I find I balk at the time constraints. If I walk and then exercise and then shower, the morning is gone. (So what's so important about the afternoon," my conscience asks? "You're retired.")

Nudges.

7 pounds in 7 weeks? If you want that to change, you have to exercise.

Hmmm, somehow I have to motivate myself into this. The truth is, after all the outside sources nag at me, my doctor is right. Osteoporosis runs in my family. I need to add exercise to this program.

Really? Puh-leze! (Oh okay... quit nudging me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment