Saturday, September 4, 2010

Life as a Tortoise

In the beginning of all this I said the main goal was to pick up the pace and become a healthier me and I wanted to lose 20-30 pounds. The goal is still the same. Nothing has changed. In another post, I think I acknowledged that I don't lose weight fast on Atkins but I do lose it steadily. I don't yo-yo like some people. This is good. Losing it steadily gives me time to develop the habits that I need to incorporate if I want to make permanent changes.

Its great being mindful and intellectual and spiritual but sometimes it seems like watching sap drop from a tree in February. Hooow sloooooooowwww caaannn youuuuuuu gooooooo? (that's go, not goo)When I finally weighed myself a few days ago after last week's debacle, the news was ok. No loss, but no gain. Good news!

Well, today was weigh in and measurement day. I do this once a week (with the exception of last week which was a lost week). I track it on a little yellow pad. I note the pounds and see if it has gone up or down, and then I measure each little area and write in the good or bad news. At the end I write down the change in pounds from the previous week, a number preceded by a (-) is much nicer than a number preceded by a (+). Then I compare all the measurements and total them up. If my butt went from a 38 to a 37.5 that means I'm down a half inch and I'm happy. If my waist went from a 32 to a 33.25 that means I'm up 1 and a quarter inches and you can probably figure my thoughts about that. I total all the pluses and minuses and write the total for the week. THEN... I add up the totals since I started the whole process.

Well, it's been 2 weeks since my last weigh in. I was actually surprised to see I was down a pound. I felt like I had been looking at the same numbers every day. I was happy but not real excited. But then I did my totals since I started 7 weeks ago and I realized I am down 7 pounds, and 10.5 inches! That feels better.

If slow and steady wins the race, then I guess I am a winner. I seem to be right on track.
But geez, it sure is slow!

1 comment:

  1. I'm reminded of the adage (which I know I haven't copied word for word) -- "nice and easy wins the race", as well as that little story - the tortoise and the hare. This post also brings to mind "patience" -- and not getting discouraged because that is in short supply.

    Inches may mean more than pounds, too - though I'm not sure. The fat is turning to muscle.

    Hang tight - and keep on! :)

    ReplyDelete