Thursday, September 16, 2010

The next Challenge

The next month is going to present quite a challenge. As of now, I am in Iowa for the birth of my 3rd grandchild. This is a very exciting time and yet, for a person on a quest it presents 3 big challenges to deal with.

Challenge 1: The drive
When I visit my kids I take the dog and I drive--900 miles! For those who know me that means 'munchy time'. Whenever I drive, I nibble. Finding suitable foods to nibble on are difficult. I like finger foods. My normal fall-backs are gummy worms, raisinets, french fries, you get the idea. Anything but healthy. When I started making these long distance trips to see my kids I drank McDonald's ice tea constantly while I snacked. By the time I arrived you could have lit up a Christmas Tree with the 'energy', if that's what you could call it. I was wired. I was buzzed. Of course, that kind of energy is really 'faux energy'--a trendy term, but rather appropriate. Nobody can harness it. It just sends you flying in all directions. Ask any 5 year old who has had a soda, some cookies, and a piece of cake. Since then I have learned how to temper the caffeine. I still guzzle TEA until early afternoon, but then I settle down. I drink more water and have only 2 sugar and caffeine free sodas total for the whole trip.
Now with another goal in mind--losing the inches--I was able to make some healthy changes to my constant munching. I added carrot and celery sticks, cherries, grapes and watermelon chunks since I was cleaning out the refrigerator. I did succomb to fries mid-afternoon, but I never touched the chips or raisinets. Chocolate covered raisins are particularly evil for me because of the sugar in the chocolate and the raisins.
All in all, I did better yesterday than I expected, but my carb, fat, calorie intake (whatever you would have been concerned with) was still over the top.

Challenge 2--The daily walk
Now that I am here I won't be able to keep up my 2 mile power walks as much. For one thing the road is flat. No hills!! Yea!! part of me says, but the motivated part knows I need those hills to keep my metabolism going. But the bigger problem may be the road itself. It is gravel, sometimes kind of soft, so I'm not sure how I'll do developing a fast gait. Another aspect of the road is the weather and the time of year. It may be gravel, but it is a main road, traveled by cars and trucks daily, all going about 40 miles an hour. 18 wheel semis barrel past on their way to the grain elevators. If the wind is up I actually don't hear them coming until they are almost upon me. I have to constantly look ahead and behind me to be sure I know when something is coming. When a combine is coming, I head for the weeds by the side of the road to make sure I don't get scooped into the chute and have my wheat separated from my chaff. I have plenty of chaff, but I'll hold onto it and lose it my own way, thanks!

Challenge 3--Routine
The third challenge is developing a routine that makes sure I work out each day. I'm here to help my daughter with the new baby, watch my 3 year old grandson, and do what's needed. My routine is second to hers. Getting out to walk each day may be difficult.

Challenge 4--I know I said there were 3, but I can tell this one will be a big a problem as walking.--The Diet.
Her meals are different from mine and will proably add a lot of carbs back in. When a new baby is in the house, ease is the new priority. Casseroles that can be put together when we have time and heated when we're ready to eat, and the baby is too, will be on the menu. They will be healthy and low-fat, but carbs are not my best friend. However, this time is too special to dwell on some things.  I'm already in trouble. There were two pans on the counter when I arrived. I have avoided the Red Velvet cake with the cream cheese frosting, but the frosted brownies were to die for!!
So we'll see how it goes. We all know we can't grow without challenge. I only hope I 'grow' in the way I want to, not the way I have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment